While divorce has become increasingly prevalent around the country, it is not always the best option and can actually do more harm than good in some situations. For example, suppose you are interested in separating from your spouse and want to explore the options available for your circumstances. In that case, the best thing to do is contact a Legal Separation Lawyer in the Hollywood, FL, area and consult with them to see what options may be best for you.
What Is Legal Separation?
Legal separation, also known as a postnuptial agreement, is a legally binding contract handled through the courts that carries some of the same traits as divorce but does not dissolve the legal marriage. While it is a separation and division of marital responsibility, you will remain legally married to your spouse, which can help avoid the negative impacts of a divorce in some situations. It can also be helpful for those who hold personal or religious beliefs that discourage divorce and help maintain some of the financial benefits of marriage.
For example, spouses share particular benefits when it comes to medical and financial decisions, and legal separation can help ensure some of these remain in place, even if the couple chooses not to live or communicate with one another. However, determining whether a divorce or legal separation is best for you can be difficult. Without the expertise and familiarity with the laws surrounding the situation in Hollywood, FL, you may find yourself at a loss. Still, for the best Advice on Legal Separation, it is imperative to find a legal separation lawyer to help break down your situation and lead you down the right path.
The Benefits Of Legal Separation
As discussed previously, not only does the marriage stay intact, which can provide personal benefits and a range of medical and financial benefits, but there are many more as well. From lower costs and less hostility, it can be the right choice in many situations. However, there still needs to be a process of determination for many aspects of the marriage. For example, assets will still need to be divided, and parental responsibilities will need to be determined if there is a child involved. This is one of the most significant reasons hiring a legal separation law firm is vital to the success of the process.
Contact Lieber Law Group, P.A., in Hollywood, FL, for more information and to discuss the benefits of a legal separation in your situation. We will discuss your circumstances during an initial consultation, and from there, determine why a legal separation may be beneficial compared to a divorce. Every situation is different, and especially in a situation involving a spouse or children, it can be challenging to navigate without the help of a professional. Therefore, the sooner a legal separation attorney can become involved, the better, since the more familiar with the situation, the more they will be able to give legal separation advice. So don’t hesitate, and call today!
Experienced Hollywood Family Law Attorneys Provide Alternatives To Divorce
In certain situations, a couple may wish to live apart without terminating their marriage. In Florida, this is called a legal separation. Essentially, a legal separation is a court-approved contract between spouses that outlines how marital responsibilities will be divided. The agreement can address issues including:
- Asset and property division. Dividing the marital property can be an emotional and complicated process. In some states, there is the additional step of determining which property is community property and which property is separate. A knowledgeable attorney can make this process easier.
- Payment of marital debts. Many couples owe money on their home, their cars or credit cards. Our attorneys help apportion these debts as well as medical debts and other loans.
- Spousal support. Depending on the financial circumstances of each spouse, support may be negotiated on or ordered by a judge.
- Child custody. Determining where children should live, who should make decisions about their lives and when relatives can visit them is often an emotionally fraught process. Our attorneys work to reduce the conflict surrounding these issues and come to an agreement that is best for the children.
- Child support. Both parents are expected to contribute to the costs of raising their children. This often means that one parent must make payments to the other. Our attorneys help to negotiate payments that are fair and beneficial to children.
An experienced attorney at Splitsville Family Law helps you negotiate a fair separation agreement.
Reasons To Choose Legal Separation
While separation and divorce are similar in some ways, the marriage is not ended in a legal separation. For some couples, this is the best option for their situation. Reasons to choose a separation over a complete dissolution of a marriage include:
- Personal or religious beliefs
- Financial concerns
- Medical benefits
- Chance for reconciliation
Choosing between a legal separation and a divorce can be a difficult decision. The Florida attorneys at Splitsville Family Law help our clients make the right choices for their individual circumstances.
Contact a Hollywood legal separation attorney today.
Call Now To See How Can I Help You!